This is the perfect opportunity for someone who wants to be part of something that impacts and changes the lives of many Albertans. You will have the opportunity to work in an open and transparent; strong and focused corporate culture. We offer a supportive working environment that encourages team work, innovative thinking and community collaboration and are looking for someone who shares a passion for security and the service of people and the community!
Who are you?
We need a security professional with a different approach to maintaining the safe and secure environment we've grown to appreciate. This role accentuates the difference we make in our community by addressing all security concerns with a compassionate approach to resolving issues in a restraint-free approach. We serve our clients with respect and dignity, and consciously choose not to exercise power or control against our valued clients.
The candidate we are seeking will have prior training and experience in a security setting, will understand methods of conflict resolution, will have a proven customer service approach, solid references to support their compassion toward people, and will display confidence, strength of character, and a willingness to learn and grow.
This is a different kind of job, supporting our facilities as well as clients, staff, volunteers and members of the community, in a very demanding environment. At any one time, you will be protecting the safety and security of people in a hectic and busy atmosphere. We recognize it takes a special kind of person - someone who is resilient, enjoys working in close contact with people, and who can maintain their composure when situations escalate.
This position may be on either the day shift (7 am - 7 pm) or the night shift (7 pm - 7 am) with a rotational schedule of 4 days on, 4 days off depending on staffing needs.
- Maintain a safe living and working environment through humility, respect and compassion.
- Security staff must show composure and humility when handling situations that may require them to remove person(s). They will use non-violent crisis intervention techniques.
- Must maintain a professional and positive working relationship with emergency services. (i.e. CPS, CTS, EMS, etc.)
- Teams of security personnel provide a presence 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Security work can be physically demanding and requires an individual to be alert at all times.
- The current high standard of customer service must be maintained and improved upon if possible; all members of the security team, as frontline staff, have a key role to play in this.
- To provide assistance to new clients, volunteers, donors and members of the community at the main office and direct them to the appropriate avenues.
- Monitoring premises, clients, community members, volunteers and staff via CCTV to ensure everyone has a safe and respectful living and working environment.
- Monitoring the outside of the building for any illegal activity and taking appropriate action.
- Patrol of the building and floors while keeping in contact with the control room with the use of hand held radios.
- Preparing for shift change by relating any information to help assist the oncoming staff.
- Review the DVR regarding criminal activity and taking proper course of action.
- Required to keep your work station clean and tidy.
- Dealing with enquiries from staff, clients, and public.
- Responding to any security issues within the facility and the surrounding outside grounds
- Performs any related activity that has been asked of by the on-shift supervisor.
Qualifications and Essential Skills
- Alberta Investigators license is MANDATORY
- Completion of a college or university program in any of the following; human services, police sciences, criminology or other related programs is a definite asset
- Previous work experience or background in military or law enforcement may replace formal education requirements
- Experience in the human services field would be an asset
- Experience with CCTV, access control systems and fire response systems is a must
- Energetic and self-directed, with effective time management and organizational skills including the ability to deal with several priorities at the same time
- Strong strategically-focused analytical skills, good common sense; and capacity to provide leadership
- Well-developed interpersonal, conflict resolution and negotiating skills
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to improve projects, programs and processes
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
- Proficient in Office365 and Microsoft Office Suite 2016
- Demonstrate essential desktop troubleshooting skills
- Eager to learn new systems and adopt improved best practices
What We Offer
The "DI” is an employer of choice in our industry, offering an excellent benefits package including 100% medical and dental, a RSP matching program, paid training programs, and annual paid vacation.
We provide an opportunity to help make a real difference in our community, and more importantly in the lives of less privileged people. We take great care in hiring the right people who fit, and who share our outlook on the value of people.
If you are looking for a challenging position in a dynamic team and growing business, then this position is right for you!
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.