We are currently seeking full time (on contract) Adult Care Workers (ACW) for the night shift. These immediate opportunities are contract only to cover off for some short-term leaves, however, there may be a possibility of full time, permanent at a later time.
The DI is a place of safety, respect, and joy for our valued clients. To proactively care for them, the DI hires several Adult Care Workers who exemplify compassion, honesty, and true leadership of care in the most trying conditions. The ACW is carefully selected in accordance with the mission and philosophy of the DI.
Who Are You?
The role of ACW is held by our most caring, ethical, values-driven employees, and DI management relies upon them to advocate for the physical and emotional well-being of its clients 24 hours per day. Duties and responsibilities include simple care and attention to people who are lonely, tired and hungry, frustrated, or just need someone to talk to. You may implement activities ranging from structured to unstructured programs which are intended to build up and/or maintain an individual’s life and social skill level. You will assist in assessing the needs and background of each individual client in a caring manner, and then works with other ACW’s, Counselors, other agencies, volunteers, and the community to have these needs met in a client centered, respectful, compassionate way.
- Adult Care Workers will conduct themselves in a professional manner when dealing with members of the community, clients, volunteers and other staff. They will be cooperative in dealing with emergency services and other staff (i.e CPS, The DOAP team, CTS, EMS).
- Engages clients with conversation and addressing questions or concerns and providing clients with the appropriate advice.
- ACW’s will be respectful and offer help to clients who have been barred from the premises; this might include offering a meal, snack, refreshments, and any assistance that will help them through the day(s).
- Provides support, supervision and assistance to clients by distributing medication, bus tickets, hygiene supplies and clothing.
- Each shift will effectively communicate with other shifts and rotations to address any issues or concerns of the day.
- Maintains a presence on the floor, and communicates clearly the rules of the Centre to ensure a safe living and working environment for all.
- Helps mitigate conflict between clients/client, or between client/staff.
- Attend training sessions as required.
- Performs regular bathroom checks and maintains the cleanliness of the bathroom.
- Performs random or exhaustive bag checks to keep the DI free from alcohol and drug use and take appropriate action if illegal substances are found.
- Helps clients with day to day needs, as well as those who require special care needs, such as the elderly, clients with mental health issues, clients who are ill.
- Checks for sobriety and helps escort clients into Intox if they are intoxicated.
- Assists clients with opening, transferring and securing their personal belonging in lockers.
- Assists with meal time and providing snacks and refreshments for clients between meal times. If a client should happen to miss a meal and is hungry, staff shall help such client by providing food.
- Performs a variety of cleaning duties, including but not limited to: sweeping and mopping floors, vacuuming, dusting, empty garbages, taking dishes to the kitchen and cleaning up spilled drinks or food.
- Performs laundry duties such as collecting, washing and distributing towels and sheets. Assists clients who need help with their own laundry.
- Performs a variety of duties related to donations of clothing including accepting, organizing, cleaning and distributing donations to appropriate departments.
- Completes and maintains log record-keeping in the DI database, documents interactions with clients and maintains statistical data. This includes properly using biometrics to keep an accurate number of clients seen on a daily basis. Provides related reports as required.
- Abides by the correct procedure to sign clients in on the floors.
- May be assigned to help the day office with general office duties such as: answer calls and take messages, paperwork and data entry.
- Reviews email, logs and communications and takes appropriate course of action.
- Provides direction to volunteer(s) assigned to work area by performing duties such as demonstrating tasks, monitoring work, supporting volunteer(s) in completing functions and maintaining their work.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by Supervisors, Coordinators, Assistant Coordinators, and Directors.
Qualifications and Key Skills
- Completion of (or working towards) a college or university program in any of the following; human services, community support, social service work, psychology, sociology, or health-related discipline is an asset.
- Previous work experience in a social service environment is preferred.
- Displays compassion as a primary trait.
- Knowledge of community resources for homelessness, health, mental health and substance use is an asset.
- Understanding of the needs of marginalized adults and homelessness issues.
- Energetic and self-directed, with effective time management and organizational skills including the ability to deal with several priorities at the same time.
- Strong strategically-focused analytical skills, good common sense; and capacity to provide leadership.
- Well-developed inter-personal and conflict resolution and negotiating skills.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written.
- Proficient in Office365 and Microsoft Office Suite 2016
- Demonstrate essential desktop troubleshooting skills
- Eager to learn new systems and adopt improved best practices
What We Offer
The "DI” is an employer of choice in our industry. We provide an opportunity to help make a real difference in our community, and more importantly in the lives of less privileged people. We take great care in hiring the right people who fit, and who share our outlook on the value of people.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.